THE PRICE OF LIGHT: A NIGERIAN SOLAR STORY
THE MAN WHO WAITED
Before you read this, let me say this clearly:
These stories are not real stories that anyone told me. They are fictional stories created to reflect the reality that many families may be facing today.
Emmanuel Adekunle sat in his big living room, staring at the quotation on his phone. The numbers hadn't changed much since January, N3.5 million for a 5kW system, up from N3.2 million six months ago. He'd waited, convinced prices would fall. Everyone said solar panels were getting cheaper globally. That was the story. That was what the news said.
He'd been wrong .
"By June, it was almost N3.5 million," he told me, shaking his head. "The delay cost me an extra N300,000. I could have installed it in January and been saving money by now."
I met Emmanuel on a Tuesday afternoon, the generator in his compound humming in the background, that familiar grating sound that defines so much of Nigerian life. He's a product designer, creative, the kind of person who should have embraced solar early. But he'd been waiting for the perfect moment.
"There's always this feeling," he said, "that if you wait just a little longer, the price will come down. That's what you hear. That's what people say. But nobody tells you that waiting costs you too."
I asked him what he meant.
"Think about it," he said, counting on his fingers. "In those six months I waited, I spent money on petrol for the generator. I spent money on repairs. My equipment suffered. Those fluctuations, they damage things slowly, you know? You don't notice until something just... stops working."
THE BUSINESS THAT COULDN’T WAIT
Mrs. Amina Yusuf's fashion business in Lagos tells a similar story, but with sharper edges. She runs a small boutique, makes custom clothing, employs three women. She'd been saving for a 10kW system, but then she decided to expand her shop instead. The solar would wait.
That decision cost her nearly N500,000 .
"I regretted it," she said flatly. "Apart from paying more for the solar system, I also spent more on petrol because electricity supply worsened."
She's not wrong to be frustrated. The economics have shifted dramatically. Diesel prices now hover between ₦1,200 and ₦1,500 per litre at the pump, making diesel-generated electricity the most expensive energy source available to Nigerian businesses between ₦300 and ₦450 per kilowatt-hour .
Solar, by contrast, costs between ₦90 and ₦150 per kilowatt-hour depending on your appliances, over a 25-year lifetime .
The numbers are clear. But numbers, as I was learning, don't make decisions. People do. And people are afraid.
THE MAN WHO DOESN’T BELIEVE
I found Chief Adewale in his shop in Surulere, a small electronics store crowded with phone chargers, cables, and the kind of gadgets that people in his neighborhood need. He's been in business for fifteen years. He's a respected man in the community. And he will not touch solar.
"Let me ask you something," he said, leaning forward. "Where is the guarantee?"
I started to speak, but he wasn't finished.
"These companies that sell solar, they come, they install, they collect your money. Maybe millions of naira. Then what? Who fixes it when it breaks? Where do I get the parts? The battery, you know, lithium battery, they say it lasts. I don't believe it. I've been using generators for years. I know generators. I know what to expect. Solar? I don't know anything."
This is the heart of the resistance, I realized. Not just cost. Fear of the unknown.
"Every month, I pay my bill," he continued. "Yes, it hurts. Yes, the DisCo light is bad. Sometimes we have power for two hours in a day. But at least I know. At least I can budget. I know I will spend ₦25,000 on fuel for the generator this week. I know that. Solar? The size and watts of panels I need for my shop cost up to N145,000 each, and I need ten of them. That's N1.45 million just for panels. Then you have the inverter. The installation. The battery. Where am I getting that money?"
He gestured around his shop.
"I can't just stop my business to save for solar. The business needs money now. My children need school fees now. My wife needs food now. The generator, the DisCo bill, I can manage these things. I am used to them. Solar is... too big. Too far."
I asked him if he'd ever considered a loan. There are platforms now, I told him, like GrinaPay, that offer financing for solar if you have a steady source of income.
He laughed. "A loan? They will give me a loan and then what? I will owe them every month. And if my business slows down? What then? I will be in worse trouble."
THE MAN WHO WAITED AGAIN
Not far from Chief Adewale, in a different part of Surulere, I met Mr. Bamidele. He's a barber, runs a small shop with three chairs. He's younger than the Chief, maybe in his early thirties, and he has exactly the opposite opinion.
His barbershop runs on solar.
"When I first looked at it, I thought the same thing as the Chief," he admitted, laughing. "Too expensive. Too complicated. But then I did the math properly."
He pulled out his phone and showed me a spreadsheet he'd made, simple handwritten calculations.
"Every month, I was spending ₦50,000 and above on fuel for the generator. Plus I had to change the generator oil every two months. Plus repairs. Sometimes the generator would just stop working in the middle of a customer's haircut. The customer gets angry. You lose them. They don't come back. They go somewhere with reliable light."
He scrolled down.
"Now, I have solar. I spent ₦3.8 million on the system. That's a lot, yes. But I pay nothing every month. Nothing. The sun doesn't send me a bill. After two years, I've already saved more than ₦1.2 million in fuel costs. In five years, the system will have paid for itself completely."
He leaned back, satisfied.
"The thing is, people think solar is the same everywhere. They hear one story about someone who paid too much or got bad equipment, and they think that's how it is for everyone. But you have to understand, there are different systems. Different brands. Different installers. You don't just buy 'solar' like you buy bread."
THE MAN WHO SEES THE NUMBERS
To understand why people like Bamidele are making the switch, I needed to talk to someone who looks at solar from the inside. Gbenga Kogbe, CEO of Lagos-based Sunhive, has been watching this space closely.
He told me the story isn't simple.
"Over the past 12 to 18 months, we've seen massive growth in demand for solar," he said. "But the number of inquiries has stayed relatively stable. People's purchasing power has shrunk. The alternative is non-consumption. I'll just stay in darkness."
That's the reality, he explained. For many households and small businesses, the choice isn't between a generator and solar. It's between power and no power at all.
"The heart of renewable power is the battery," Kogbe said. "Lithium is at the forefront of energy storage." But batteries are expensive, and they're subject to the same global supply chain pressures as everything else.
China's removal of export tax rebates on solar products pushed prices up by 4-8% in 2026 . A 590W panel that sold for N125,000 in January 2025 was N143,000 by June 2026 . The delays compound.
"The cost of capital in Nigeria is quite high," Kogbe noted. Bank loans can reach the low- to mid-30% range . Currency volatility matters too. "As soon as the naira depreciates, the cost of solar energy goes up immediately."
THE MAN WHO FOUND LIGHT
In Ibadan, I met Ayobami Ayorinde. His family made the switch to solar, and it transformed their lives.
"The switch to solar has made life comfortable for us," he told me. "There is always light. My parents can conveniently work from home without fear of electricity disruption."
This is what the "lifetime investment" argument sounds like when it's not theory, when it's real. Ayorinde's family spent money upfront, yes. But now they don't worry about NEPA. They don't worry about grid collapses. They don't worry about fuel prices.
"Solar offers more consistent light than depending on the grid. It basically gives us some form of succour."
THE MAN WHO KNEW WHAT HE LOST
I visited Emmanuel again, the product designer who waited six months and lost N300,000. He's since gone ahead with the installation.
"I still spent the money in the end," he said, shaking his head at the memory. "I just wasted six months. I could have used that money for something else. Now I look at it, and I think: if I'd done it in January, I'd be saving fuel money now. In six months, those savings would have paid for the price increase."
He told me about a music producer in Owerri, Somik Chris Ikesom, whose story had been in the news. Ikesom had switched to solar and no longer needed backup generators 80% of the time . His equipment was safe from power fluctuations. His work was uninterrupted.
"Over the years, I was losing some of my equipment because sometimes when the generator wants to go off, it just goes off," Ikesom had said .
Emmanuel understood that pain intimately.
"I don't have power outages anymore," Ikesom had said. "I wanted something steady and reliable. So that I can just walk into the studio and do whatever I want to do at any time."
Emmanuel nodded when I read him this quote.
"That's what I want. That's why I finally did it. The money is hard, but the peace is worth it."
THE WOMAN WHO SEES THE FUTURE
Later, I met someone who works with one of the companies offering solar financing. The kind of platform that can make solar accessible even to people like Chief Adewale, if only they would try.
"We see this all the time," she told me, asking not to be named. "People who have a regular income, a salary, a business with predictable cash flow could easily afford solar with a loan. But they don't know we exist. Or they don't trust us. Or they think it's a scam."
She explained the model.
"You have a monthly income. We verify it. We provide the solar system. You pay in installments. It's like paying a DisCo bill, except at the end, you own the system. The payments stop. You have free power forever."
I asked her why more people don't take advantage.
"Fear," she said. "They think: what if I lose my job? What if my business fails? What if I can't pay? But the truth is, if you have a job and you lose it, you can't pay your DisCo bill either. At least with solar, you have an asset. Something you own. Something that adds value to your home."
THE MAN WHO WON’T CHANGE HIS MIND
Back in Surulere, I sat with Chief Adewale again. I told him about the financing options. I told him about Emmanuel's experience, about Ayorinde's family, about Bamidele's barbershop.
He listened patiently.
"Young man," he said when I finished, "I hear you. I understand what you are saying. But you have to understand me too. I'm 62 years old. I've been running this business for 15 years. I've seen things come and go. I've seen investments that were supposed to be sure, and they failed. I've seen people promise things, and they didn't deliver.
"Solar? Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. But I know my generator. I know what it costs. I know what to expect. I'm comfortable with the devil I know."
He shrugged, a gesture that seemed to say: this is the end of the conversation.
"One more thing," he added. "You say I should think about the long term. But I'm 62. The long term for me is not the same as the long term for you. My children, maybe they will do solar. My grandchildren, definitely. But me? Let me just finish my life in peace. Let me not add more worry."
THE MAN WHO DID THE MATH
The academic research supports what people like Bamidele and Ayorinde already know. Solar energy significantly reduces greenhouse gas emissions by up to 60% across project types . It reduces sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide emissions. It improves air quality. It reduces noise pollution .
But the real story is economic. Nigeria has emerged as Africa's largest small-scale solar market after attracting $2.4 billion in investments amid the worsening electricity shortages and rising energy costs. Internal Rates of Return between 20% to 27% . These are strong numbers. These are numbers that would make any investor pay attention.
Yet 40% of reported challenges in solar adoption are financial, the high initial costs and limited access to financing . The technical challenges matter too: battery storage, system efficiency. Regulatory hurdles discourage investment. And social factors like lack of awareness and resistance to change complicate everything .
The small-scale solar PV system that most families need is a 3.5 kVA stand-alone system that can yield net financial savings of ₦5.81 million over five years, representing a 67.7% net saving .
But the most transformative impacts are not financial. They are things like reduced psychological stress, improved health from cleaner air, noise elimination, enhanced productivity, social prestige, environmental stewardship, energy autonomy .
These are the things that don't show up in a monthly budget. These are the things that matter.
THE MAN WHO SEES THE SYSTEM
The Nigerian solar market is expanding rapidly. In 2025, Nigeria imported 2.9 million units of solar panels . It's now among the top 10 source countries for solar module imports into the United States, a remarkable shift for a country that was barely on the solar map a few years ago .
This growth has been driven largely by economics. Diesel prices have made solar competitive. Grid failures have made solar necessary. The government has also helped, with zero import duty and zero VAT on fully assembled solar panels .
But the transition is uneven. There's a proposed ban on solar panel importation that could actually make things worse. If imported panels are banned, domestic manufacturing isn't ready to fill the gap only about 5% of demand can currently be met locally . A ban would drive prices up and make solar less accessible.
"It's like planting a forest," said Joseph Ibrahim, Nigeria Campaign Director for the Secure Energy Project. "You cannot just command trees to grow; you must prepare the soil. That means stable policies, access to finance, and strong quality standards."
THE WOMAN WHO CAN’T REACH IT
The final person I met was different from the rest.
She's a young woman, a teacher in Cross River State. She asked me not to use her real name. She lives in a village without grid electricity. She's never had a DisCo bill. She's never had the option to pay for a generator. She just... lives without power.
"We see solar on the roofs of some people," she told me. "The rich ones. The ones who have money. But for us? We don't know how to get it. We don't have the money. We don't have the information. We just... stay in the dark."
This is the other Nigeria. The one that doesn't appear in the stories of Lagos business owners and Ibadan professionals. Around 55-60% of Nigeria's population, especially in rural areas, lacks reliable electricity access .
"About one-third of Nigerians still lack access to electricity," the reports say . But that figure is dry. It's abstract. It doesn't capture what it means to be a teacher who can't read at night, a student who can't study after sunset, a mother who can't charge a phone to call her family.
Louis Agbor, a Cross River-based teacher, told me: "Solar is the major source of light in Cross River. You can find it in almost every home."
But "almost every home" doesn't mean every home. The gaps remain.
THE LAST WORD: A STITCH IN TIME
The Chinese proverb, "a stitch in time saves nine," has been repeated by solar industry experts in Nigeria throughout 2026 . It's become a kind of mantra: don't wait. The price won't go down. The grid won't get better. The cost of waiting is real.
But the proverb only works for those who can afford the needle and thread in the first place.
For people like Emmanuel, like Bamidele, like Ayorinde, the advice is clear: make the investment, even if it hurts. The math works. The payback comes. The lifetime savings are real.
For people like Chief Adewale, the decision is harder. He's comfortable with his generator. He doesn't want to learn something new. He doesn't want to take a risk. His fear is legitimate, even if the math says he should fear something else entirely.
And for the teacher in Cross River, the question is different. She doesn't need to decide between solar and grid power. She needs someone to tell her how to get it, how to finance it, how to make it real.
Nigeria's solar story is not one story. It's many stories, all happening at once, in different places, for different reasons, with different outcomes.
Emmanuel's story is about a mistake and a lesson. Chief Adewale's story is about fear and the comfort of the known. Bamidele's story is about the clarity that comes from doing the math. Ayorinde's story is about peace of mind. The teacher's story is about access.
The question isn't whether solar works in Nigeria. It does. The evidence is overwhelming. The academic research confirms it. The people who have switched confirm it. The economics confirm it.
The question is whether the people who need it most can reach it. Whether the financing structures will expand. Whether the politics will align. Whether the cultural resistance, the fear, the ignorance, the comfort with the known will yield to a different way of thinking.
WHAT I LEARNED
I'd heard the solar pitch before, the way people always pitch things: this will change your life, it's an investment in your future, the cost is worth it. It sounds like a sales pitch. It often is.
But what I found was more complicated and more convincing. I found real people with real problems, making real decisions. I found people who had done the math and people who hadn't. I found people who were terrified and people who were triumphant.
The strongest case for solar in Nigeria is not the environmental argument, though it's real. It's not the national development argument, though it matters. It's the individual, personal, everyday argument: you will sleep better. You will work better. You will save money. You will breathe cleaner air. You will have peace.
Emmanuel told me something at the end of our conversation that I've been thinking about ever since.
"It's about control," he said. "With the grid, you're at someone else's mercy. With a generator, you're at the mercy of fuel prices and mechanics. But with solar? You're in charge. The sun comes up every day. The panels work. The battery stores what you need. You have control."
That's what the lifetime investment really is: control. The ability to decide. The freedom from the grid's whims. The peace of not wondering when the lights will go out.
For some Nigerians, that freedom is worth the price. For others, the price is too high. For still others, they can't even see the door.
The task, it seems to me, is to open that door a little wider. To make the information available. To make the financing accessible. To help people understand that generalization is the enemy of good decisions that what worked for someone in Lagos might not work for someone in Ikorodu, but that the principle is the same.
Solar is not a magic solution. It's not for everyone. Not yet. But it's the only solution we have that doesn't depend on a grid that fails, a government that dithers, or a global oil price that fluctuates.
It's the only solution that puts the power back where it belongs: in the hands of the people who need it.
ADVISER’S NOTE
I wrote this article because I wanted to understand Nigeria's solar transition from the ground up. I wanted to hear the voices of the people who are living it, the ones who have made the switch, the ones who are considering it, the ones who have rejected it, and the ones who can't even see the possibility.
What I learned is that solar in Nigeria is not a single story. It's a tapestry of stories, each one different, each one true. The person who spent millions on a system they love. The person who spent millions on a system they regret. The person who can't afford anything at all. The person who is afraid of what they don't understand.
The advice that emerges from all these voices is clear, but it's not simple: do your own research. Don't generalize from someone else's experience. Understand your own situation, your income, your needs, your risk tolerance. Look at the financing options. Talk to people who have done it. Do the math.
For some people, solar will make sense immediately. For others, it will be a stretch. For a few, it may never be the right choice. That's okay. What's not okay is dismissing it out of hand because of stories you've heard, fears you've absorbed, or comfort with what you already know.
The sun is free. The technology works. The economics are improving. The question is whether you're ready to take the leap.
If you are, the view from the other side, the side where the lights never go out, where the generator noise is just a memory, is worth the climb.
Grina cares💚
Iyke-Oñu Genevieve
PR and Marketing (Intern)
grinapay.com
grina.org
Comments
Post a Comment